Pages

Monday, August 9, 2010

Zaalouk (Eggplant Salad)


I love Morrocan tagines as much as a full-blooded local, but I must confess what I most enjoy during my meals in Morocco are the salads and side dishes. I've posted before about how much I like eggplant so naturally, Morrocan zalouk (eggplant salad) is one of my favorite salads/side dishes. This recipe comes directly from my mother-in-law’s kitchen and all measurements are approximate according to my observation. When my husband makes zalouk he roasts the eggplant, but I know some people who boil it in water. My mother-in-law steams hers and it turns out great. Zaalouk can be served warm or cold - I prefer mine at room temperature.




Lwalida’s Zaalouk

About 3 medium eggplants
2 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and grated
3 cloves of garlic, pressed
About 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro and parsley, mixed
About ½ to 1 Tbsp paprika
About 1/2 Tbsp cumin
About 1 tsp of ginger
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ to ½ Tbsp harissa (optional)
Olive oil

Peel eggplants in 1-inch intervals lengthwise and cube them. Steam until tender.

The best way to peel tomatoes is to pour some boiling water over them for a couple of minutes. Peel off the skin, cut tomatoes in half across the width and grate the meat side of the tomato using a coarse vegetable grater.

In a large frying pan saute with a little olive oil the tomatoes and garlic. Add cumin, ginger, black pepper, cilantro, parsley, paprika and salt and let cook for a few minutes. Add harissa if you want and let cook some more.

Add steamed eggplants and let cook for about fifteen to twenty minutes, mashing up the eggplant with a wooden spoon once in a while.

Serve at room temperature with bread as an appetizer, a salad or side dish.

6 comments:

  1. That is such a wonderful dish! My whole family likes it. Anyways, thanks for the share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite recipes to make and eat. I've made it so many times I no longer need to consult the recipe. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is looking nice! I will try this out sometime. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like eggplant salad too..Any kind of dish of eggplant is really different. I like eggplant with egg, try it. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was awesome! My family just love it. Thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I no longer need to consult the recipe. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget