Pages

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Spring Rolls with Sweet and Sour Sauce


I really like Chinese food, but not your average American version of this wonderful cuisine. I love the Chinese food I used to eat in Brazil which I'm sure was adapted to appeal to the local palette. I've tried some Chinese places here in Chicago and suburbs but these days I prefer to avoid the restaurants as three of my kids have food allergies and of course there's always the halal factor to consider.



Recently we found a place that has good food and my husband picks up take-out from there sometimes after work. But my craving for Brazilian Chinese food continues. I was able to somewhat abate my desire yesterday with a batch of spring rolls served with homemade sweet and sour sauce. Given the nature of my craving I shamelessly fried my spring rolls but perhaps next time around I will try baking them to see how the healthier version will turn out. Since working with spring roll wrappers is a lot easier than with phyllo dough, I will try using these again the next time I make Moroccan briwats.



Spring Rolls with Sweet and Sour Sauce

Sweet and Sour Sauce

I used 4 Tbsp of vinegar this time and it turned out great but very tangy, so if you aren’t into tangy add a bit less vinegar.

1 cup 100% pineapple juice
4 Tbsp ketchup
2 Tbsp brown sugar
½ Tbsp corn starch
3 to 4 Tbsp rice vinegar to taste

Combine the cornstarch with water in a small bowl, stirring to dissolve the cornstarch. Mix all ingredients in a saucepan and heat stirring frequently until it thickens, about 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside and let cool completely before serving.

Spring Rolls

3 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp ginger paste
About 1 tsp of salt and ¼ tsp of black pepper, more or less to taste
1 cup chicken cut into thin strips
1 cup onion cut into thin strips
1 cup cabbage cut into thin strips
1 cup carrots shredded
About ½ cup parsley
Spring Roll Wrappers

Season chicken with salt, pepper and ginger paste.

Heat oil in a wok or similar pan, saute briefly until cooked, add vegetables one by one in the order of ingredients letting them stir fry for a couple of minutes. Lastly sprinkle with the parsley. Let cool before wrapping.

Wrapping:

Position one wrapper like a diamond with one point facing you. Place about 1 tablespoon of filling in a log shape across the bottom about 2" from the lowest corner. Fold the bottom corner up over the filling. Fold the left and right corners to the center and press down firmly to seal, forming an envelope. Finish by rolling up, sealing the top corner with a little bit of water. In case yours doesn’t close well, make a flour paste to use as “glue.”

Heat about 2 inches of oil in frying pan. Fry spring rolls a few at a time, until crisp and golden. Drain on paper towels. Serve the spring rolls with sweet and sour sauce.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...