Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Indian Cabbage with Pigeon Peas

By Jill



A lot of people assume that since I'm an American married to a Syrian Arab that I've learned how to cook a lot of good Syrian dishes. I have learned a few from my mother-in-law who is an amazing cook. However, because she lives halfway around the world I haven't had the pleasure of being with her long enough to really become schooled in her kitchen. It's not all bad, though, because I've been virtually adopted by my friend Rehana's mother who lives in my neighborhood. She's hosted me for some amazing cooking classes with plenty of tastings included. I can now proudly say I am part Ghujrati Indian, or at least imagine myself to be when I'm cooking up some of Rehana and her mother's fantastic, spicy vegetable dishes or channeling their culinary skills when attempting veal biryani. Lucky for me my husband loves Indian food as much as me!


Here is a wonderful recipe for Indian Cabbage with Pigeon Peas that is perfect for a light meal served with whole wheat pita bread. It's great for dieters looking for low-calorie meals if made with a little less oil and minus the potatoes. I serve this to my kids with a dollop of sour cream to cut back on the spiciness (a trick my adoptive Ghujrati family taught me).

Indian Cabbage with Pigeon Peas

2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 cup canola or olive oil (you can reduce this a little for diet purposes)
1 head of green cabbage (sliced very thin)
2 tsp salt
1 tsp tumeric
1 jalepeno (chopped, leave out for less spicy)
1 tbsp. dry fenugreek leaves(crushed by hand)
1 large yukon gold potato (peeled and cubed)
1 large green pepper (diced)
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables (if desired)
1 tbsp corriander powder
1 tsp red pepper powder (reduce for less spicy)
3 juicy med. size tomatoes (chopped)
1 can pigeon peas (drained, rinsed)

Heat mustard seeds in large, heavy bottom pot until they begin to pop (about 2 minutes), add oil, cabbage, salt, jalepeno, tumeric and fenugreek. Saute, covered over med. high heat for 5 minutes.

Add potato, green pepper, mixed vegetables, corriander, red pepper powder and tomato. Heat until bubbly, cover and reduce heat to low. Stir often to make sure it doesn't burn. Saute for about 10 minutes then add the pigeon peas and continue cooking until cabbage and potatoes are done, another 10 minutes or so.

Yum!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...