Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Onion Quiche with Cottage Cheese



Making this quiche was a true soap opera. I planned on doing it for about 2 weeks and never found the time. Remember, I've recently lamented about the busy schedule of a halal mama of four. Then one day I thought, "This is it, I'm going to do it!" I thought I had enough time before picking up the twins at preschool but I couldn’t have been more wrong and had to leave with my dough resting in the fridge, the onions just caramelized and the egg/cream filling in a measuring cup. I made sure everything was well-covered with plastic and left, not being able to get back to the quiche until the next morning! I had to take the dough out of the fridge for a few minutes before I was able to roll it out and I had to mix the cream filling again. But, to my surprise, it turned out just fine and it tasted even better reheated the next day. So, my point here in sharing this drama is to tell you that you can feel free to make each individual part of the quiche ahead and bake when you are ready to serve. I like these kind of recipes!





Onion Quiche

I made double of the amount here and got four individual tarts and about a dozen bite-size tartlets.

Dough
5 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut in cubes
1 large egg, beaten
2/3 cup all purpose flour
½ tsp salt

Filling
Olive Oil
1 large onion, sliced in rings
Cottage Cheese

Topping
2 large eggs
1 cup heavy cream
Salt, white pepper and nutmeg to taste
4 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese

Make the Dough
Beat the egg with a fork, you will only use half of it.

Mix the flour and salt with half of the beaten egg.

Add the pieces of butter and knead the dough until it comes together.

Make a ball with the dough, cover with plastic film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough with a roller pin to about 1/8 inch thin.

Cover tart pan or 4 individual tart pans, as you like. Cover with plastic film and return to fridge until you are ready to use.

Make Filling
Fry onion in olive oil until they begin to caramelize. Set aside.

Putting the quiche together
Take the quiche pan covered with dough from the fridge. Arrange the onions evenly over the bottom of dough.

Spread a layer of cottage cheese over the onions.

In a measuring cup or small bowl, beat the eggs with a fork. Mix in the heavy cream. Add salt, ground white pepper and freshly grated nutmeg to taste. Mix everything with the fork. Pour over prepared crust.

Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.

Cook in preheated 350oF oven for about 40 to 45 minutes (if making tartlets about 30 to 35 minutes.)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...