Pages

Friday, April 22, 2011

Mango Bread (Fresh Mango Loaf Cake)



As you have probably already noticed I have a thing for fruit cakes, especially those with lemon. Don’t get me wrong, I love chocolate. I really do...especially Swiss chocolate with nuts. But, quite honestly, I am not too crazy about chocolate cake. I am still searching for a chocolate cake that will inspire me. If and when I stumble across something interesting, I promise to write about it.



As I've mentioned, we go through a lot of fruit in my house so we always try to have a variety as much as possible. Lately Clementines are all the rage with my kids. I also found some great mangos at the store the other day. They were so delicious that my daughter ate two as soon as I brought them home. I wanted to bring them to you as well. I found this great mango bread recipe by Dorie Greenspan. It is not really a bread, it is more like a cake, as in Banana Bread.

With this terrible weather with have been experiencing here in Chicago, this delicious cake is a great “pick-me-up” in the afternoon with tea.


Mango Bread
From Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

Print this Recipe

3 large eggs
3/4 cup Canola oil, or any other flavorless oil
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (packed) light brown sugar
2 cups diced mango (from 1 large peeled and pitted mango)
3/4 cup moist, plump golden raisins
Grated zest of 1/2 a lime

Preheat oven to 350oF making with a rack in the center.

Butter and flour an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan and place it over two baking sheets stacked one on top of the other. (This extra insulation will keep the bottom of the bread from over-baking).

Whisk the eggs and oil together.

In a separate large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt. Rub the brown sugar between your palms into the bowl, breaking up any lumps, then stir it in well with a fork.

Pour oil/egg mixture over dry mixture and mix well until blended with a wooden spoon. Some muscle will be needed but keep going as it will eventually all come together.

Stir in mango, raisins and lime zest.

Put the batter into the pan and smooth the top.

According to original recipe the cake should be baked for 1 ½ hours or until it is golden brown and a thin knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Halfway through the cooking my cake started to get too brown, so I covered it loosely with a piece of aluminum foil and cooked about 50 minutes more for a total baking time of about 1 hour and 35 minutes.

Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool for about 5 minutes over a rack before unmolding it.

Invert and cool to room temperature right side up on the rack.

If you can exert self control the cake is even better the next day!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...