Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Brussels Sprouts with Maple Syrup and Dijon Mustard



Whenever we have Brussels sprouts at home my children always comment about how perplexed they are that they are the only kids in class who like this vegetable.  Last time my daughter asked me why I thought that was the case, I answered her that it was likely because they probably don’t know how to make them taste delicious.

This recipe comes from Jill. While it is so simple, it is at the same time, simply amazing. I remember the first time I had this dish at Jill's house. I practically ate the whole platter. I've since given the recipe to my cousin in Brazil who told me once that she wasn't a fan of this misunderstood vegetable either. But now even her family loves it! I think she actually uses honey as a maple syrup substitute as this condiment isn't readily available in Brazil. Hope this lovely side dish becomes a favorite in your house as well. My kids won't feel like they're the only ones who like Brussels sprouts!





Aunt Jill’s Brussels Sprouts

15-20 small brussels sprouts
3 Tbsp butter
¼ cup water
2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper

Wash the brussels sprouts, cut of the top, flat ends of each and slice them in half vertically.
Melt the butter, add the brussels sprouts and let sauté for a couple of minutes, stirring once in a while.
Add the water and let it come to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to low, and let it steam, stirring occasionally to make sure they don’t burn for about 5 to 7 minutes.
Remove cover, add maple syrup, mustard, salt and pepper to taste.
Saute uncovered over medium high heat for another minute or so, or until all moisture is gone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...