Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Banana Ice Cream


There can never be enough bananas in the house for my boys who love all kinds of fruit. But for some reason this week, either because they overlooked them or my husband bought just far more than they could possibly eat, some bananas got too ripe sitting in the fruit bowl.


Of course using these in cake or muffins are the first thing that came to my mind but then I remembered my recent trip to Brazil and the wonderful ice cream I had there. So I decided to make banana ice-cream. Can you tell I am still thinking wishfully of summer?


Banana Ice Cream
Slightly modified from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz

4 ripe bananas, peeled and cut in ½ inch pieces
1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 Tbsp butter, cut in small pieces
A pinch of cinnamon
½ cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
½ tsp alcohol free vanilla extract
1 ½ tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ tsp sea salt

Toss banana, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter in a baking dish. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes in preheated 400oF oven, until bananas are browned and cooked through.

Scrape bananas and syrup from baking dish into blender. Add milk, heavy cream, vanilla, sugar, lemon juice and salt and mix until smooth.

Chill thoroughly in the refrigerator. Then churn in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...