Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Brazilian Cheese Puffs (Pão de Queijo)


If you have ever been to Brazil you know that there is nothing better than a cup of coffee and a pão de queijo in the afternoon.


The other day I was reading the latest Saveur and saw an article on Cassava (we call it Yuca in my house), a root that I really enjoy and use at home. I think it is worth a read and you can find it here. I was a bit disconcerted by the corresponding recipe for the famous Brazilian cheese puffs, pão de queijo. I’ve seen many recipes for pão de queijo and I myself make at home a non-conventional recipe without eggs, as you know one of my twins has egg allergies. However I had never seen a recipe asking for yeast and flour. But, I decided to keep an open mind and give it a try. It was a disaster. The dough was not thick enough to roll and the end result was cheesy cookies as my children called them.


So I went to the kitchen and quickly made a batch of my egg-free pão de queijo that my children devoured in a few minutes. This, although not a traditional recipe with eggs, is much closer to what you would find in Brazil both in look and taste.

Egg-Free Brazilian Cheese Puffs (Pão de Queijo)

2 cups Tapioca starch
¼ cup cold water
½ cup milk
8 Tbsp butter (1 stick), salted or unsalted just make sure to adjust salt accordingly
Salt to taste (I use about ½ tsp)
½ cup grated parmesan

Preheat oven to 400oF

Put tapioca starch in a large bowl. Pour cold water over it and mix it well.

Boil milk with butter in a saucepan. Mix in the salt. Then pour over tapioca starch.

Mix well with a wooden spoon until it becomes a homogeneous dough.

Add cheese and mix thoroughly.

When the dough has cooled off, oil your hands and roll the puffs the size of a walnut.

Place puffs onto an ungreased baking sheet although I like to use either a baking mat or parchment paper.

Bake until they puff and the bottom starts to become golden, approximately 18 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Oi Katia querida
    Obrigada por se lembrar de mim aqui,estou bem,minha familia toda esta,fisicamente pelo menos,estamos longe do local do terremoto,e dentro da tristeza e dor que se formou nesse pais.Mas se curando viu,aprendendo duramente na dor a ficar mais forte,gracas a Deus.
    To te devendo visitas aqui nesse blog de perdicao,tem certeza de que vc nao eh um fake que pega receitas do livro da deusa das guloseimas??To besta,vc pode ter 4 maridos amiga,quem vai ter coragem de te largar assim???Parabens,nem me arrisco a dizer que vou copiar alguma coisa daqui rsss.Beijos ,vamos nos ver no messenger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thank you for posting!

    Did you use anything to replace the eggs? And how many cheese puffs did you get from your recipe?

    Did they taste like normal brazilian cheese puffs?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget